Monday, August 17, 2009

Current Obsession - Sequins

Can I just say...well duh. I am insanely attracted to anything shiny. It could be a disease. My piece of the season is a LIFEwithBIRD singlet with some really unusual black laser square sequins on the chest (more on the amazing LIFEwithBIRD collection some other time) but right now I'll take anything with a bit of a shine and a flash of colour. In fact, inspired by the LIFEwithBIRD singlet (and while I am saving up to buy it), I went to Photios Bros on Druitt St in the city and bought a few bags of sequins to embellish a couple of singlets I bought the other week that were lacking in personality. You don't even need sewing skills to put sequins on things - buy a bottle of Gem-Tac and stick them down like I did. You can get sequins in all sorts of shapes and colours so you will no doubt find something. Plus, going to Photios Bros is like stepping into Olivanders Wand Shop in Diagon Alley (yes, that's a Harry Potter reference). Photios is this amazing old store that has been on Druitt St since the 1950s (it's a family business that started in 1920) and is an integral part of the fashion industry throughout Australia. They shut for lunch between 1-2 and you usually have to wait because they are always busy but it is worth it. I remember going to Photios as a kid to pick out crystals to put on my dancing costumes. Memories. Speaking of crystals, they stock a HUGE range of stick on and sew on crystals of varying qualities and colours (over 60 colours, regular and AB!). I bought some crystals to bling out my sisters phone - sure, phone bling might be so 3 years ago but that isn't up for discussion right now.

Price: sequins from $5.50 depending on size and colour (the black laser are from $6.50); Gem-Tac is $9.50
From: Photios Bros - 66 Druitt Sydney
Why you need them: to add a bit of sparkle to your day

Picture credit: photiosbros.com.au

2 comments:

Shaybear said...

How did the Gem-Tac fare in the wash?

Elise @ StuffThatIBought said...

Gem-Tac has never failed me, but it's hand wash only. In this situation the sequins seem to be letting me down - the laser means they have a film on them so the film is stuck down and the rest of the sequin peels off.

Related Posts with Thumbnails