Tuesday, October 20, 2009

DIY balayage

I don’t know about you, but my money tree is a bit light on at the moment. Where I used to make regular trips to the hairdresser, I have in more recent times been a bit, how would you say, tight? Lazy? Bit of both, really. I speak to my hairdresser and colourist more on facebook than I do in the salon. Terrible, I know. But as someone who suffers from the odd ‘champagne coloured highlight’ (read: grey hair) I would have to make far too many trips to the salon and it’s just easier sometimes to do it at home.

That said, I do love my balayage. I’m not talking Pip Edwards top deck hair, but a lovely brown with golden highlights throughout and slightly lighter ends. Thankfully I have found a way to do this at home. It probably isn’t revolutionary and I’m not reinventing the wheel, but it’s a fun idea and if I inspire one person, then great (if you are that one person, please leave me a comment! My ego would appreciate it).

L’Oreal Couleur Experte. It’s a home kit where you do your own highlights. But instead of just doing highlights, I use the highlighter (read: bleach) to paint the ends. It’s kind of haphazard, but that’s the idea of balayage anyway. The result is gradually lighter ends and a natural sunkissed look that cost me $280 in a salon once (I won’t say which salon, but the place was full of self-important wankers, and that was just the staff). Suffice to say, at one tenth the price, I’ll keep doing it at home. Beware though...it is quite drying so be sure to treat your hair with the love and respect it deserves (considering you just blasted the crap out of it with bleach). I recommend kms California Moisture Repair Leave-In Conditioner ($27.50 in salons).

Price: $28 (give or take)
From: The supermarket or Priceline
Why you need it: To give balayage a whirl without it costing you the earth.

3 comments:

Donna Kelly said...

Brilliant! I've got natural dark brown hair and I've always said I wouldn't dye it 'til I found my first gray...and alas at 23 I have found one (only one but still), I've heard a lot about balayage, but didn't have a clue what product I should use, I live in Ireland so the products listed are almost always only available in the states,so thank you for suggesting the loreal one! :)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a photo of the end result ! I really want to try this but don't really know where to start. At the moment I'm just googling "DIY balayage" ! X-D

Elise @ StuffThatIBought said...

Oh goodness, this post was a while ago but I'll see if I can dig up a pic!

Related Posts with Thumbnails