Sunday, October 11, 2009

Luscious lips with lanolin

I remember discussing chapped lips and dry noses with a friend one day (probably in winter, but I don't exactly remember) and she recommended Lansinoh to ease the pain; it's a lanolin based cream designed for dry, cracked nipples when you're breastfeeding. Have you heard of it? It's in a little purple tube and it's a rich, white cream. Lanolin is an all natural substance, so it's one of the few things suitably pure enough to go in the mouths of brand new babies.

Anyway, the lanolin cream was brilliant for healing my winter nose but thick, white cream isn't so glam on lips. Thankfully, Kirsten Carriol has solved this problem by producing a medical grade lanolin lip gloss in 4 amazing colours, as well as a plain lanolin cream. It might be called Lanolips, but it has more uses than just lips: dry skin, excema and psoriasis, dry cuticles, cracked heels, dry nasal passages...you get the idea. Essentially anywhere you need an ultra moisture hit because lanolin holds over 200% of its weight in water and it's completely hypoallergenic so you won't have any sort of allergic reaction, no matter how sensitive your skin is. Although I would maybe keep the coloured lip glosses to lip only. But that's just my personal opinion.

Speaking of, the four coloured glosses come in Rose (lovely dusty pink), Apples (shiny, Snow White red), Dark Honey (natural lilac) and my favourite, Sunshine. Sunshine is a coral/orange colour which is universally flattering and will be my summer staple (although I'm going to have to buy a new tube soon since my current one is almost empty). I have been wearing it with bronzer and copper eyeshadow for a no-effort look, although it also works well with lots of black mascara and pink cheeks for an evening look. The best part is my lips have never felt so good.

Price: $17.95 for the plain Lanolips 101 Ointment and $13.95 for the coloured Lip Ointment (with SPF 15 - excellent)
From: Priceline, selected pharmacies and Myer/DJs
Why you need it: To experience the healing power of lanolin and have purdy lips

Picture credit: lanolips

1 comment:

tamsin said...

HI - yes I used Lansinoh when I was breastfeeding and it was awesome... haven't tried the Lanolips yet but am dying to as I've heard lots of great stuff about it.
There's a manicurist here called Sarah Priddy - she created an amazing cuticle cream based on lanolin after observing that her breastfeeding clients had improved cuticles/nails because of lanolin! Bit of a wonder ingredient for being a fantastic humectant.

Related Posts with Thumbnails