Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pimples and blemishes and inflammation, oh my! How I'm taming my angry skin

My skin has been throwing tantrums lately. Not just little foot stamping, harrumphing tantrums. We’re talking angry, petulant child in a shopping centre, throwing themselves on the ground type tantrums. Bad. Naughty. Frustrating. (I blame a new health supplement I have just started taking)

I have been doing my best to keep things under control by alternating between two different face masks and hitting the spots with a targeted treatment. First up is my old faithful DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask, which you get from Kit. This is a clay mask with sulfur in it (smells a bit weird but definitely not unbearable), and it works its little ass off to draw the impurities and oil out, whilst also drying out what’s already there. Not only can you use it as a mask for 5-10 minutes, you can also use it overnight as a spot treatment. I know sulfur sounds hardcore, but you only use this mask once a week. Have acne? I implore you to seek out the DDF acne line.

I have been tag teaming that with a new offering from Grown that contains wheatgerm, gingko & cranberry. This one is also a deeply purifying white clay mask that replaces nutrients as it goes. The DDF mask is more clinical, while this one puts good stuff in as it takes bad stuff out (think nourishing, firming and brightening). It’s organic and smells really yummy, and is a totally luxe treat.

Phew. I'm like Rafael Nadal with all my clay bases covered.

I have also been hitting the nasty spots with Burt’s Bees Natural Anti-Blemish Solutions Targeted Spot Treatment, which contains salicylic acid. If you haven’t made friends with salicylic acid yet, you should. This is the nice kind of acid that sheds dead skin, unblocks pores and kills germs. Only use it on the spot though – if you slap it all over, it will dry out stuff that doesn’t need to be dried out. Awkward. I put a little bit on the end of a Q-Tip and dab it only where it’s needed. Smells like tea tree oil, works a treat.

DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask
Price: $54.95 (113g)
From: Kit Cosmetics

Grown Deep Purifying Facial Masque
Price: $39 (65mL)
From: David Jones

Burt’s Bees Natural Anti-Blemish Solutions Targeted Spot Treatment
Price: $19.95 (7.5mL)
From: David Jones, Terry White Chemists, other chemists

Why you need these grime-fighting super heros: To help ward off the evils that can lurk under your skin.

.

2 comments:

Stella said...

How great are Burts Bees products !

MsCritique.com said...

Oh, I hear ya sister! My skin was doing the same thing: http://mscritique.com/2010/06/meet-my-skin-naomi-campbell/

Can't wait to see what she's got instore for me this summer. Eeek!

Related Posts with Thumbnails