Monday, May 17, 2010

These ain't no men in tights!

I hate to admit this, I really do, but I thoroughly enjoyed Robin Hood. I only hate to admit it because I am staunchly anti-Russell Crowe. However, I saw it because for the first time in over 5 years Boyfriend wanted to see a movie and since I always pick what we see I thought I should let him have one win.

So like I said, I am anti-Russell Crowe. No matter what he is in or how many awards he wins, I have no desire to see anything he is involved in because I think he is a big fat douchebag. I feel exactly the same way about Tom Cruise. Don’t even start me on my anti-Tom Cruise tirade.
Stills from Ridley Scott's Robin Hood
Anyway, I was completely engaged in this movie right from the start. I went in expecting a remake of the 1991 Kevin Costner Prince of Thieves, but it was totally way better. Sorry, K-Cost.

What makes this different is the fact it is essentially a prequel. It’s the Robin Hood story before the Robin Hood story we all know; what happened to turn Robin Longstride into the Robin of Loxley we are familiar with. Visually it is a stunning movie – the countrysides, the costumes, the intense fight scenes. I’m sure it will be up for a few awards next time award season rolls around. I wouldn’t expect any less from Ridley Scott though – boy knows how to put on a good show.

I have to say that one of the first things I commented on when we walked out was the fact that the two lead actors – Crowe and Cate Blanchett – both had wrinkles on their faces. What a novelty! Leading ladies and gents that show real emotion and real life! Granted, I’m sure they exaggerated Cate Blanchett’s crows feets with powder, but it was still a detail that added an extra dimension to the story. I loved it from start to finish and I never thought I would say this but I am recommending a Russell Crowe movie. I think I need a lie down.

Price: $17 (or cheaper, if you go on a tight ass day)
From: Cinemas
Why you need to see it: Mark Strong as Godfrey is worth the ticket price alone

2 comments:

eskimojo said...

Wow. I mustn't have been to the cinema in a long time - $17???

Elise @ StuffThatIBought said...

I knowwwwww it's total highway robbery. We go to Event Cinemas (Greater Union) at Bondi Junction and I swear the price has gone up by about $5 in the last 3 years.

Related Posts with Thumbnails