Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Foam hair colour is really as easy as it sounds (including DIY balayage)

Since I'm doing this whole "saving money" thing for my "wedding", one of the first luxuries to go was salon dye jobs (isn't it always). In a strike of fortuitous timing, I went to a launch about four months ago for a few Proctor & Gamble products, and one of the things they told us about was the Clairol Nice N' Easy Foam.

I'm not averse to a DIY home job. One of the most popular posts on this blog in fact is the one about my DIY balayage - I can rock a pair of crappy plastic gloves with the best of them. I am however one of the clumsiest people on the planet - my Fiance thinks it's hilarious that when I make spaghetti bolognese, there is just as much bolognese sauce on the stovetop as there is in the pot. After I home dye, it usually looks like someone has actually died in the bathroom.


The Nice N' Easy Foam makes this messy process a heckofalot easier - the foam is new non-drip technology, so it's not slipping through your fingers and dripping everywhere (if you watch TV, you have probably seen the commercial by now). It is kind of like applying mousse - squeeze a little ball out and slide it through your hair. Easy. 

I was given a kit at the launch event and I liked it so much I went and bought another one when it was time to do my roots again. FYI I'm a 5 medium brown or 5G golden brown, and I'm still DIY balayage-ing - I just do the colour from the roots to about halfway down the head, and keep the lighter bits at the end. Which is probably why my ends look so ratty these days!

I have no idea why George and I were posing like this (George is my fur vest, FYI) but we're looking pretty pleased with ourselves. Must be the great hair colour.

Clairol Nice N' Easy Colour Blend Foam
Price: $17.99
From: Supermarkets
Why you need it: Save your pennies, spend an hour in the bathroom and don't make a huge mess!
.

3 comments:

Sher said...

Ohhhhh I saw the ads! I'm also trying to sav my pennies and am in desperate need for a hair colour! I've wanted to try the look of lighter colour at the ends. Is it foils??
p.s i'm so buying one of these colours before the weekend.

Also a bif off topic but i'm interested in trying the Organix Keratin @ home straightening treatment (rrp 29.90 @ supermarkets/priceline) have you read any reviews or come across any info on this product?
I'm very excited at the potential of @ home straightening!!

Elise @ StuffThatIBought said...

The lighter colour at the ends is balayage, which is essentially freehand foils. In the past I have successfully used home highlight kits and just painted the ends for that "sunkissed" look. These days it's just an old colour job that's growing out! Otherwise you could use a colour that's one or two shades darker than your current colour but don't take it all the way to the ends when you dye it for that two toned effect.

I haven't tried the Organix Keratin range myself, but my friend did and she wasn't particularly overwhelmed. There is a new range just launching called Brazilian Blowout ZERO that is supposed to be the best in the market for keratin smoothing treatments. I'll do some digging for you!

Anonymous said...

I love the light ends look! It looks so beach babe! I am thinking of dying my hair bronde and let it grow out naturally!

Related Posts with Thumbnails