Friday, June 10, 2011

Friday noms: Out of this world tastiness!

Picture this…I'm 9 years old and have just moved back to Australia after living in America. I have an American accent, say soda instead of soft drink (and get teased mercilessly as a result), am obsessed with rice krispy treats, and am gutted to learn that no one here knows what I'm talking about when I try and explain the joy that is rice bubbles mashed with marshmallow (this is the early 90s, well before LCMs).


 I didn't even know what a tuckshop was, and yet, I will never forget that first experience. I bought 6 of the little sun lollies for 30c (can anyone remember what they were called?) and the other 30c went on a Jupiter bar. Delicious, chewy, fake-caramel married with rice bubbles and peanuts. Suddenly all thoughts of America, rice krispy treats, Hersheys and my old friends disappeared - I was home.

Cut to last night and I'm doing my grocery shopping whilst also avoiding the film crew who were filming a Duracell commercial in my local Coles. As soon as I walked in I knew something was different, and it wasn't just the giant Duracell bunny being chased around by screaming school kids. My spidey senses were tingling…there was something new in the confectionary aisle! Helllooooo Jupiter bar. Yep, 60c later I was instantly transported back to the tuckshop at St. Mary's. Thank you Coles, for bringing back my childhood for less than a buck.

Europe Jupiter bar
Price: 60c
From: Coles
Why you need it: For a fake caramel reminder of your schoolyard days

.

3 comments:

Lavender said...

Yum! I used to love these! I havent seen them in ages!

Marlo Perry said...

Yum! I looooooved Jupiter Bars.
I must check my local for them, don't think I've had one since primary school.

I also loved Space Food Sticks

Elise @ StuffThatIBought said...

Oh Space Food sticks! The caramel ones were my favourite. I obviously had a thing for caramel in primary school. Now I want to go and track some down.

Related Posts with Thumbnails