Monday, June 13, 2011

IS HAS DOES: Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream

When someone asks me about a beauty product, there are usually three main things I tell them: what it IS, what is HAS in it that makes it so special and what it DOES. So even though you haven't asked, I'm going to tell you about Kiehls Ultra Facial Cream in that same format. Because I can.


Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream - a lightly textured, super-hydrating face cream perfect for winter.


There are three hero ingredients: Antarcticine, Imperata Cylindrica and Squalane. Antarcticine is a glycoprotein (this means it's part protein and part carb - just don't eat it) sourced in Antarctica, hence the name. It's hydrates skin while also smoothing it out, protects from nasty free-radicals and helps shield skin from extreme cold (the Antarctica thing might have been a clue). In fact, it thrives in the extreme weather, so this last week in Sydney it has really been put to the test (and succeeded - my skin has been smooth and hydrated even though it's fricking freezing!)

Imperata Cylindrica is an ingredient that flourishes in the desert (namely, the Aussie outback) and its primary role is to store and retain moisture. It has a high saline (salt) content, so it sucks moisture in and holds onto it pretty firmly, and it also has lots of potassium for an immediate and lasting hydrating effect. The third hero, Squalene, is used in a lot of Kiehl's products. It's a highly refined moisturising oil derived from olives (don't try and cook with it though) and is highly compatible with the natural oils of the skin. This is the ingredient that makes the face cream glide on like silk and absorb so quickly - it's like magic!


 This is the most incredibly hydrating face cream. In the pot it's all lush and thick, so I honestly expected it to feel heavy going on. Not so. It glides over the face the way peanut butter slips across hot toast, and is very easily manipulated for super quick application. There is nothing worse than having to push your face cream around your face to try and cover every inch. Who has the time or inclination? Moisturiser shouldn't be an effort.

So anyway, it glides on smoothly and then just disappears - for a powerful moisturiser it's surprisingly light. I know it's working though, because my skin feels amazing at the moment. Smooth, supple and super-hydrated (alliteration is the cornerstone of describing skincare). I have also been looking a bit glowy recently, which I'll put down to a combination of this moisturiser and my Terre & Mer by Thalgo Marine scrub. What a team.

This gets a huge thumbs up from me. It's a little pricey (although Kiehl's have just brought their prices down - woohoo!) but the cost per use would be pretty low because you don't need much AND it's a tub so you can get out every last drop.


Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream
Price: $52 for 125mL
From: Kiehl's stores, Mecca Cosmetica, some David Jones AND the newly launched Kiehl's online store - if you enter the secret code lipglossblog at the check out you get a free lip gloss, courtesy of moi. Don't say I never give you anything!
Why you need it: To fight winter weather and keep your skin looking A-MaY-Zing!

Bonus fact: Kiehl's stores do FACIALS! They are $80, which is then redeemable on product, so it's practically free. I had a facial at the Sydney store a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely delightful. The treatment room out the back has this awesome vintage vinyl player, and amazing old prints of New York on the wall. Do yourself a favour and book in. Ask for Sae - hands of an angel.

This product was offered to me for consideration in accordance with my disclosure policy
.

2 comments:

Sarah Kretchmer said...

I actually thought it was quite reasonably priced considering the size - st 125mls it's about 2.5 to
times the size of most other moisturizers so as you said works out quite reasonable per use. I haven't tried this before but your review makes me want to go out and test it! Thanks for the great review!

Elise @ StuffThatIBought said...

Thanks for the great feedback! This is definitely worth grabbing. May I suggest (and I should pop this in my post) you can go for a facial at Kiehls and get the price of the facial redeemable with product purchase.

Related Posts with Thumbnails