Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Spreading some hope

I'm going to put my serious hat on (again! I know!) and talk about The Butterfly Foundation for a minute. They are an amazing organisation who do great work helping Australians with eating disorders. I myself have never been affected by an eating disorder, but body image is a huge deal in my industry (magazines) and it's something that is on my mind every day. I will very shamefully admit that a potential cover came through yesterday and the first thing I thought when I looked at it was 'her arm looks fat'. Why would I think that!? Her arm wasn't even fat but it was my gut reaction, ahead of straplines, colours or even the celebrities face. My male boss was horrified and I was ashamed. Ten Hail Mary's for me.

Fortuitous timing then that I popped into Sportsgirl at lunch to buy a pair of shoes (which I didn't buy - either the Sportsgirl sizing system has changed or my feet have grown). I noticed The Butterfly Foundaton had some new jewellery on the counter and my bowerbird instincts kicked in. Ever since Sportsgirl became a corporate sponsor of The Butterfly Foundation in 2007 (high five, Sportsgirl) I have been wearing a Butterfly Foundation string bracelet around my wrist. Every time I look at it, it reminds me to let my body issues go and be a little more forgiving on myself. It also reminds me that I should probably buy another one as it's looking a bit tatty.

How amazing is the hope ring (statement, not question). It's dainty and delicate, but powerful in its message. As for the silver bracelet with the charm, well, that's just plain cool (and will stack perfectly with my other silver hardware). Sportsgirl have a beautiful range of Butterfly Foundation merchandise. It always sits on the counter, it's insultingly cheap (I felt like I ripped them off ) and it's for a wonderful cause.

Price: Ring $5 (OMG!) Bracelet $7
From: Sportsgirl
Why you need it: You get to look cool, feel virtuous and hopefully help a young Aussie in need. Hugs all 'round.

4 comments:

Shaybear said...

Fantastic cause, and some beautiful (and cheap) jewelery. : ]

Anonymous said...

I just went onto their website and did you know that you cannot buy their jewellery online? After reading your post, I was so inspired to buy some and I'm not near a Sportsgirl so I wanted to purchase online but it doesnt seem possible....
unless of course im proving to be computer illiterate

Elise @ Stuff That I Bought said...

You're right, and that's a total bummer. You can't buy it on the Butterfly Foundation website either. Let me do some digging and see what I can find for you. x

mandy said...

Wow am totally impressed with the jewellery. The ring is just lovely. I am definitely going into Sportsgirl and for that price, will buy both. What a fanstastic idea,

Related Posts with Thumbnails