Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How to deal with an itchy little situation

This annoying change of season is doing my head in...summer, winter, summer, winter...when did I move to Melbourne? My sinuses are throwing daily tantrums and I’m working double-time on the antihistamines. Unpleasant.

I’m also scratching my scalp like crazy – I swear it must look like I have nits, but my scalp has gone cuckoo-bananas with the dry and the warm and the ugh. I asked Keiren Street, the Head & Shoulders Expert Stylist, what the heck I should do about my annoying scalp and he gave me a few answers, after he stopped staring at me all funny from my ape-like scratching.
Why does my scalp get itchy during the change of season (spring and autumn)?
Often your scalp skin gets irritated by changes in the climate, spring and autumn are prime times. But an itchy scalp is a problem which can occur all year round. This is why it’s so important to keep using your head & shoulders shampoo and conditioner. Even when you think your scalp and hair feels better, you need to keep using the head & shoulders products as a preventative.

What sort of ingredients should I be looking out for to fight the itch?
The active ingredient in head & shoulders is a special power-packed molecule called HydraZinc. In the new Itchy Scalp Care shampoo and conditioner is the natural ingredient eucalyptus which will give you a cooling sensation as you wash your hair which really soothes an itchy scalp.

Will using a dandruff shampoo damage my hair colour?
Contrary to popular belief head & shoulders does not strip colour from your hair. They are effective but gentle on your hair and scalp, not drying or stripping, but conditioning. Your scalp is just a continuation of your skin and it’s important to care and look after it, as a result it will then give you beautiful, shiny and healthy hair.
I’m going to be honest – I always thought dandruff shampoo stripped the colour out of your hair, which is why I was reluctant to use one (even though I clearly need it). Now that I know I’m wrong (cheers, Kieren) I’m going to grab some tomorrow and get on top of the, uh, itchy situation.

FYI – I’m tracking down Head & Shoulders Dry, Itchy & Sensitive Scalp Care shampoo, $5.99, cos that’s the one Kieren recommends. And he knows stuff. I'll let you know if the itch stops.

.

3 comments:

StellaPreston said...

I can't thank you enough for this post ! I have a terrible scalp lately, it gets very dry yet I always thought the same about the shampoo stripping colour so I have never used it.
I think I'll be off to get myself a few bottles today :)

Amy said...

I find my scalp itches in summer with the combo of sweat (I live in Brizzy, it's unavoidable) and products I pile into my hair to fight the frizz. I think I'm going to have to invest in a shampoo too - will wait and see what you think of it first!

Kimmi - ThePlasticDiaries.com said...

Great interview! I am using the H&S Sensitive Scalp Care one and I have noticed a massive improvement.

I posted my story at http://theplasticdiaries.com/hair/head-shoulders-sensitive-scalp-care/

Related Posts with Thumbnails